This past week has some significant dates where historical events have taken place in the Hip-Hop music world. Many memorable moments from your favourite Hip-Hop artists have occured within the first month of December. Let’s acknowledge these moments in our brief December Hip-Hop timeline.
- Anthony Criss (better known as Treach) was born on December 2, 1970. He is the lead rapper in the old school Hip-Hop group “Naughty by Nature” who were quite successful throughout the late 80’s and 1990s. Some of their hit songs include “O.P.P” and “Hip Hop Hooray”.
- Action Bronson was born on December 2, 1983. He is a current Hip-Hop artist who still makes hits today including “Baby Blue” and many others which you can find on his album “Mr. Wonderful”.
- On December 3, 1995 was the release of one of the greatest Hip-Hop singles of all time. 2Pac’s “California Love” featuring Dr. Dre. If you haven’t heard this song you’re definitely missing out, GO LISTEN NOW!
- December 4, 2007 was the death of Pimp C, who was in the Hip-Hop duo “UGK” alongside Bun B. Their known for hits such as “Front, Back & Side to Side”.
- Jay-Z was born on December 4, 1969. The Hip-Hop icon himself was born which is a pretty big deal in Hip-Hop history since he is one of the most famous and great rappers of all time. If you haven’t heard any of Jay-Z’s songs, well you my friend have 99 problems and your music knowledge is definitely one.
- Brand Nubian released their debut album “One for All” on December 4, 1990. You may not know the Hip-Hop group but they’re extremely old school and are one of the greatest Hip-Hop groups of all time.
- Masta Ace was born on December 4, 1966. Although he was a solo rapper, he was best known for his work in the rap group “Juice Crew” along with Big Daddy Kane, Biz Markie, Marley Marl and more.
- On December 7, 1999 Hip-Hop legend Notorious B.I.G’s posthumous album “Born Again” was released. Many songs were released on this album including a tribute song titled “Notorious B.I.G” (featuring Lil’ Kim and Diddy) and his own songs “Dead Wrong” featuring Eminem and “Who Shot Ya”
- On December 7, 2004 Ludacris released his album “The Red Light District” which had hits such as “Get Back” and “Pimpin All Over the World”
- J. Cole released his album “2014 Forest Hills Drive” on December 9, 2014. The album has some of today’s popular musical hits including “No Role Modelz” and “Apparently”. J. Cole’s album is the only Hip-Hop album to go platinum without any collaboration. As well, 2014 Forest Hills Drive is nominated for best Hip-Hop album at the 2016 Grammy Award Music Show.
The Hip-Hop game has many interesting moments (within this week only) and they all would not be able to fit in just one blog post. However, these ten moments are very significant and had or will influence the rappers of tomorrow. I hope this trip down memory lane has taught you something about Hip-Hop that you were unaware of.